The Montagne de Reims is strongly marked by agricultural activities. Located in the heart of the AOC Champagne, it stands out for the preponderant place of viticulture in its agriculture (20%). Field crops cover 30% of the Park's territory. Result ? The territory's capacity for food self-sufficiency remains limited. To overcome this phenomenon, the Park acts at various levels, with a single motto: “All stakeholders, all concerned for responsible and sustainable food”. Follow us on this page to find out more!
The Territorial Food Project of the Marne Triangle: késaco?
More than ever, sustainable agriculture and food are at the heart of concerns consumers and producers: promoting short circuits, encouraging environmentally friendly agriculture, facilitating access to healthy food for all, reducing food waste, structuring agricultural sectors geared towards the local market, etc.
The definition of a Territorial Food Project (PAT)
Thus, since 2014, the Future law for agriculture encourages throughout France Territorial Food Projects (PAT). Designed collectively by stakeholders in a territory (municipalities, elected officials, agricultural and agri-food companies, citizens, etc.), these projects aim a clear objective : relocalize agriculture and food in the territories.
This involves, for example, supporting farmers for their installation, the implementation of short circuits or the development of local, quality products in canteens.
The ambitions of the Marne Triangle PAT
In 2019, the Park and its partners committed to piloting a PAT in the territory of the Marne Triangle, which includes the Grand Reims, the Pays d’Epernay and the Pays de Châlons-en-Champagne. This project brings together three quarters of the Marne department: yes, bringing together local production and consumption is everyone's business!
The ambition that drives all of these actors? Preserve, but also promote agricultural and food production by making food a real territorial project. This involves taking into account subjects directly linked to the PAT (ecological transition, health, local economy, social justice, education, etc.), as well as the establishment of territorialized governance.
Behind the scenes of the PAT Marnais strategy
Firstly, the creation of PAT governance bodies in 2019 made it possible to mobilize partners and begin a dialogue on food. This governance is made up of a Steering Committee, a Technical Committee and working groups.
Then, a diagnosis of our local food system was carried out to better understand our agriculture and our food, from field to plate. In total, 1400 people made their contribution to carry out this inventory (communities, associations, producers, processors, distributors and local residents).
Finally, this preparatory work made it possible to highlight the challenges of our territory, to define a shared strategy for 2039, composed of 4 major strategic axes and 15 operational objectives.
And the Park in all this?
Its role is:
- To lead and network the bodies which bring together the actors of the food system around this project;
- To support, promote and promote local initiatives;
- To inform, raise awareness and guide changes in practices for sustainable agriculture and food in our territories.
On the menu of the local food system: mobilized stakeholders!
It's impossible to talk to you about local agriculture and food without highlighting the many players who act on a daily basis! With dynamism, they are the ones who are leading the agricultural and food transition in the Marnais Triangle.
- The producers : more and more of them are practicing direct sales. Others have formed collectives to open producer stores, such as Sacred Farmers north of Reims or The Center Farm in Châlons-en-Champagne.
- Institutional and associative actors : the Marne Chamber of Agriculture, Organic in the Grand Est et Land of Links Champagne-Ardenne supports, among other things, sustainable agriculture approaches.
- The communities : many are reviewing the organization of their collective catering, while others are seeking to strengthen information and awareness actions (like us at the Park!).
- Educational actors : every day, they raise awareness and support the public towards healthy and sustainable eating. They also imagine events allowing everyone to better know our products, meet farmers, improve their practices and move towards consumption that takes into account environmental, social and economic issues.
- The citizens : they mobilize and enjoy initiatives such asAMAP of Ay, 3 legged deer to Germaine, or even theEpi of the Montagne de Reims in Chigny-les-Roses…
Marne initiatives to consume without moderation…
As part of the PAT, the Park seized the opportunity to France Recovery plan, which aims to accelerate the ecological, industrial and social transformations of the country. This measure made it possible to bring several projects to life, of which here are some delicious examples:
- The creation of an associative canteen Good Leftovers : the Bons Restes restaurant raises awareness about sustainable food, such as food waste in a participatory way. Around large tables, its guests meet, share, and discuss, sometimes on environmental and social subjects. This atypical restaurant is open to everyone, it practices free and conscious pricing. Everyone is welcome!
- Opening a vegetable store : in the Pays de Châlons-en-Champagne, collective catering is having problems sourcing fresh, local fruits and vegetables. From this statement, ESAT of Isle aux Bois launched a vegetable store in June 2021: to date, 3 kg of vegetables are processed daily and redistributed to surrounding canteens.
- The creation of a position of Sustainable Food Ambassador : recruited by the Park, this person's mission is to raise awareness among different audiences about sustainable food, to bring producers closer to consumers, and to develop the “Positive Food Homes” challenge in the region. This project enabled the involvement of 24 households!
Want to taste other initiatives in Montagne de Reims?
If this page has whet your appetite and you would like have access to other responsible and sustainable food initiatives (IARD), this observatory is made for you! This non-exhaustive inventory lists the actions of all the links in the agri-food chain (production, distribution, food development, support, etc.), carried out by all types of actors.
With the help of the federation of Regional Natural Parks of France, we have in fact experimented with the methodology of the association “Research and Evaluation of Innovative and Social SOLutions” (RESOLVED) to identify, capitalize and promote field knowledge.
The signatory partners of our PAT:
DRAAF | PNA | Great East Region | Department of Marne | Marne Chamber of Agriculture | Organic in the Grand Est | MBCA | Land of Links Champagne-Ardenne | Country of Epernay | Town of Epernay | SCoT of Epernay | CAC Châlons-Agglo | Greater Reims urban community | City of Châlons-en-Champagne | City of Ay-Champagne | Reims | Reims Academy
This project is financed thanks to the support of